Minnesota Hospital Infection Lawyers
Patients within a hospital are already very vulnerable and as such, these facilities must be safe and clean. Hospital staff are responsible for ensuring facilities are very clean because if they are not, patients can contract an infection. There are a number of bacteria, viruses, germs, bugs, and parasites that can cause vulnerable patients great harm. If you or someone you love has been hurt due to an infection acquired within a hospital, you may have a valid medical malpractice claim. Our Minnesota hospital infection lawyers can help you and your family seek the justice you deserve.
What Causes Hospital Infections?
There are a number of different causes of hospital infections. It is not uncommon for surgical tools to not be sterilized properly before they are used. Unfortunately, without hospital staff admitting that this was a source of infection, it is very challenging for individuals to prove.
The majority of medical malpractice claims that involve hospital infections involve a physician who failed to diagnose and treat a post-surgical infection in a timely manner. When this is the case, patients can suffer great harm as a result of the delay. Negligence in these settings can take many forms but the most common are as follows:
- Failing to recognize the symptoms and signs of an infection, such as elevated heart rate, fever, redness or red streaks around the wound, foul smelling drainage from the wound, and tenderness and swelling around the wound,
- Failing to take a culture of the wound so the inaction can be properly treated,
- Surgeons and clinics who minimize a patient’s complaints when they state they believe they are suffering from an infection acquired at the hospital
- Improper safety measures to protect patients from hospital infections, such as proper hand washing
When the above examples of negligence, or any other, results in a hospital infection, it is important to take action. A Minnesota hospital infection lawyer can review your case and advise on any damages you are entitled to.
Damages Available After a Hospital Infection
Just as with other medical malpractice claims, there are a number of damages you can pursue after acquiring a hospital infection. The most common of these include:
- Medical expenses needed to treat the infection including surgery, medication, specialist visits, and hospital bills
- Lost income if you cannot return to work right away due to the infection
- Loss of future income if you will be unable to work for an extended period of time
- Rehab and therapy expenses
- Childcare costs, if someone had to watch your children while you received treatment
- Transportation to and from treatment appointments
- Pain and suffering
It is important to keep all bills, invoices, and receipts that can help prove these damages as you continue to receive treatment.
Call Our Hospital Infection Lawyers in Minnesota Today
People typically assume that hospitals are safe and sterile environments, so it is surprising when an infection occurs due to someone else’s negligence. At Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman, LLC, our Minnesota hospital infection lawyers will determine who is liable for your injuries and hold them accountable for paying full damages. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a free consultation so we can review your case.