Minnesota OB-GYN Malpractice Lawyers
OB-GYN medical malpractice occurs when obstetrical staff does not provide an expectant woman or her child with the minimum standards of accepted care within the medical community. Any time a medical professional negligently or carelessly cares for a woman or her unborn child, it can lead to a medical malpractice claim. Unforeseen complications can arise in any pregnancy and doctors must know how to properly respond to these issues. When they do not and a complication is aggravated, or a new one arises, they can be held liable for paying damages.
Although financial compensation can never undo an injury, it can help offset the financial burden of the harm caused. Our Minnesota OB-GYN malpractice lawyers can help you claim the full and fair damages you are entitled to.
What is OB-GYN Negligence?
OB-GYN negligence can take many forms. The most common types of this carelessness include:
- Causing organ or brain damage through asphyxiation, or oxygen deprivation
- Failing to recognize a complication with the umbilical cord
- Improper use of forceps
- Performing surgery unnecessarily
- Failing to discover prenatal complications, such as a tubal or ectopic pregnancy
- Failing to perform a C-section in a timely manner
- Failing to diagnose a pregnancy condition or complication
- Misdiagnosis, which is usually failing to identify a genetic disorder or birth defect
The types of OB-GYN malpractice described above can cause debilitating and serious injuries. Parents can claim damages for these injuries as they help their child recover from them.
Injuries Caused by OB-GYN Negligence
OB-GYN negligence can cause many types of injuries. The most common of these are as follows:
- Erb’s Palsy
- Cerebral Palsy
- Klumpke’s Palsy
- Soft tissue damage
- Shoulder dystocia
- Brain injury
- Facial paralysis
- Spinal cord damage
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Death of the child or the mother
Although the above injuries are typically sustained by unborn children, mothers can also suffer serious injuries. The most common of these include uterine infections known as Group B streptococcal and chorioamnionitis.
Damages Available in OB-GYN Malpractice Lawsuits
The damages available in OB-GYN malpractice lawsuits will vary from case to case. However, the most common of these include:
- Current and future medical bills incurred to treat any injury to the mother or child
- Lost wages if the mother cannot return to work due to her injuries
- Pain and suffering experienced by the mother or child
- Wrongful death of either the child or mother, which can include damages for loss of medical benefits, loss of consortium, loss of inheritance, and funeral and burial costs
In the most severe cases, punitive damages may also apply. These damages are available when OB-GYN healthcare professionals are considered grossly negligent and cause injury.
Our OB-GYN Malpractice Lawyers in Minnesota Can Advise on Your Case
If you or your child was injured due to medical negligence, our Minnesota OB-GYN malpractice lawyers can advise you of your legal rights. At Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman, LLC, our skilled attorneys can determine when malpractice occurs and hold the appropriate parties liable. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more.